Thursday, January 31, 2008

Keeping focused on career exploration when work is busy

I've spent a lot of time in the past weeks contemplating my career. I've had the time to do it because my freelance business was slow. Scary slow, for the first time in a couple years. And it had been slow for a couple months. I would have probably done all this navel-gazing at some point this year, since I'll turn 40 whether my business is busy or not. But I'm pretty sure I got started, blog and all, because I had the time.

Well, like all freelancers, work ebbs and flows. And this last week the ebb started flowing a bit better. Still not long-term, relax-about-paying-the-mortgage, but busy nonetheless. Which means the time left to me for blog writing and career exploration has lessened.

I knew this would happen, but I don't want to lose focus. I didn't go into this just because work was slow. I'm very serious about sorting out my career future, and want to keep at it.

I'll need to find a way to fit this in.

No comments: