Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Finding your passion Part 1

I did some work last year for a 25-year-old guy who decided to try a job a week for a whole year. Sean Aiken's goal is to find out what kind of work he wants to do now that he has finished business school. I think in the end he's found a career as a speaker talking about his one-year experience. He's blogged the whole thing of course at One Week Job. It's a fun experiment that is perfect for someone of his age and generation. And Sean has a lot to say about his generation and their lack of commitment to the workplace.

Sean talks a lot about "finding your passion" -- seeking out something you feel passionate about and making that your life's work. I think it's great advice, but am not sure it gives me any answers. What if my passion lies outside work life? What if my passion is what I already do? As I've said before, I don't believe I can keep earning a living at this for another 25 years, even if I'm passionate about it.

More on this topic tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carla, you are off to a great start! I'm going to link to your blog from U-Turn Ahead. What you are writing about is exactly what visitors to my blog would like to read. I hope it brings you some traffic. I will also be including you in an upcoming post I do about recommended Internet resources. I hope to have it out in the next week or so.

Good luck with, what I believe will be, an excellent blog.