Monday, February 11, 2008

Discrimination against older workers

Not that I think that at 40 (well, 39 for another monhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifth) I'm "older", but this post from LifeTwo was still an interesting read.

I really like how it listed the way younger and older workers are perceived:

Stereotypes exist for workers of all ages. Generally speaking, younger workers are considered:

Physically more able and healthy
Easier to supervise
Lower salary expectations
Willing to use new technology
Creative
Energetic

While mature workers are considered:

Experienced
Reliable
Stable
Loyal
Have good practical knowledge
Mature


As I examine myself and my personal growth over the past two decades, I'd say the latter list does apply. That said, I'm pretty fit at 40, creative and open to new technology, so maybe I'm really part way between the two. Where do you fit?

No comments: